In order to bring top performance and stability from its industry-leading, SandForce-driven Solid State Drive line, Other World Computing has released its new proprietary firmware version, now available free for download.
With this update – compatible with most OWC SSD models – we’ve added the convenient ability to update your SSD from a bootable USB drive or a CD/DVD. The new firmware contains general performance enhancements and reliability fixes. And as an added convenience for our customers, OWC is now offering a bootable USB Key preloaded with the update.
As always, OWC reminds users that it’s important to stay updated with firmware to get the top performance from your SSD. OWC’s Mac-friendly firmware updater continues OWC’s unmatched firmware update support for Mac users of SandForce-based SSDs. OWC also provides update support for PCs running Windows or Linux operating systems.
OWC SSD Firmware Update Info
The ‘520ABBF0’ or ‘521ABBF0’ versions of the update are for the Mercury Electra 3G/6G, Mercury EXTREME Pro 6G, and Aura Pro 3G/6G models. For the Mercury EXTREME Pro/Pro 3G (Original), EXTREME Pro RE, Aura (Original) models, if your OWC SSD Firmware revision contains xxxA12F0 or xxxA13F0, then the most up-to-date revision is 365A12F0 or 365A13F0, current as of October 20, 2011. Updating your SSD firmware ensures the best operation, reliability, and experience with all Mac OS versions, including the future Apple Mac OS 10.9 ‘Mavericks’. Please check which firmware version is currently installed on your OWC SSD by using ‘About This Mac’.
We recommend updating if any firmware version other than 365A12F0, 365A13F0, 520ABBF0 or 521ABBF0 is reported.
The OWC SSD Updater Tool – Now Easier to Use!
Requires: Your choice of USB Flash Drive (1GB or larger), Blank DVD disc, or Blank CD disc + the OWC Updater Utility + The Apple Mac with the OWC SSD to be updated.
Note: To update your OWC SSD the drive must be connected via a built-in SATA port/Drive slot inside your Mac. It is not possible to update firmware via external enclosure.
- Before getting started, be sure you have a backup of ALL critical data. This update is non-destructive, but as with any hardware/software update – a backup is the best course should any unexpected issue occur.
- Have your preferred USB drive (1GB minimum) or optical disc media available for OWC SSD Updater. In the case of a re-writeable disc or USB Flash Drive, this process will replace any existing data that may be previously loaded to your re-rewriteable media or USB Flash Drive.
- Confirm the Model ID of your Apple Mac by using ‘About This Mac’. See how to find the Model ID. Write down this model ID, it will be needed for the next step. (This updater is compatible with all OWC Mercury Extreme Pro, Electra, and Aura SSD models as well as Apple Macintosh models from 2008 and later).
- Using Apple Disk utility, Restore the image to 1GB or greater USB Flash drive (that has been formatted as Master Boot Record and MS-DOS FAT [see below for screenshots]) -or- burn image to CD or DVD using Apple Disk Utility. For guidance on how to do this step view the Apple Support Article.
- With the Disc media inserted or USB Flash Drive connected to the Mac with the OWC SSD, restart/startup your Mac while holding down the “Option” key. You will then be presented with the option to select what drive to boot from.
- Select the icon labeled “EFI Boot”.
- You will them be be asked to select your Mac Model ID. Please select the ID of your Mac model as confirmed in Step 3. Note: the OWC SSD Updater Utility can take up to 2 minutes to load from this point.
- Once loaded, review and agree to the Software License Agreement.
- The utility will then automatically identify the supported OWC drive(s)
- For the OWC Drive(s) shown as requiring update, simply click the “Update” button.
- After the update is completed you will be prompted to shutdown your computer.
- Following this shutdown – the update process is complete. You can then proceed with the normal, ongoing use of your Mac.
UPDATE: Step 4 Clarification – When formatting your USB Flash Drive, make sure you click “Options…” to choose Master Boot Record. “GUID Partition Table” or “Apple Partition Map” will NOT create a USB thumb drive that will boot the firmware updater.
UPDATE 10/9/13: This blog post has been updated to reflect an update from version 5.21 to 5.22 firmware availability. Suggested updates for your OWC SSD, if needed, are infrequent and as LSI quickly provided a new version just days after our latest Firmware Updater was posted, we took down the prior updater to replace with the most current.
SPECIAL NOTE: Users who have already updated to 5.21 do not need to download the new 5.22 version updater unless you are using a 30GB OWC Mercury Electra 3G (p/n OWCSSDEX3G030 originally sold between Feb. 2012 and Jan. 2013). The 5.22 Firmware update corrects an issue discovered in 5.2/5.21 that can reduce the reliability of the 30GB SSD model, and it is a required update for 30GB Mercury Electra models now upgraded to 5.2 or 5.21. If you experience any further issues, please contact our Technical Support Department at 1 (800) 275-4576, via email, or live chat and we will be happy to assist with your update process.