Apple announced a new batch of iMacs today, so we picked them up and did what any curious person might do – we took them apart and took a look inside!
Check out the gallery below to see what we found when tearing down the Late 2015 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display.
Some noteworthy observations from the teardown:
- Model name: iMac
- Model ID: iMac17,1
- MFR: MK482LL/A
- Same memory install process as previous model
- NVMExpress SSD (24GB)
- New iMac is compatible with up to 64GB memory. Factory limit is 32GB.
- CPU is removable .
- SSD stick is removable 32GB.
- Two Thunderbolt 2 ports (Check out OWC’s Thunderbolt Central)
- New keyboard is interesting, a lot of things have changed size-wise. Closer to the MacBook style key, much shorter throw.
- New mouse feels the same (likely the goal)
Memory Upgrades Up to 64GB
OWC announced today it would soon offer up to 64GB MaxRAM upgrade options for the new iMac with 27” Retina 5K display.
See our teardown and unboxing of the new 21.5-inch iMac with Retina 4K (Late 2015) display here: http://blog.macsales.com/33640-owc-tears-down-21-5-inch-imac-retina-4k-confirms-memory-is-soldered