Along with the newly released 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display released by Apple today, we also got our hands on the brand new 21.5-inch iMac with Retina 4K display.
Check out the gallery below to see what we found when tearing down the Late 2015 21.5-inch iMac.
Some noteworthy observations from the teardown:
- Model name: iMac (same model name as 27”)
- Model ID: iMac16,2
- Memory is soldered in. OWC recommends buying as much memory as you can at the time of purchase to increase the longevity and usefulness of your iMac.
- CPU is soldered in.
- New keyboard is interesting. A lot of things have changed size-wise. Closer to the MacBook style key, much shorter throw.
- New mouse feels the same (likely the goal).
- 4K Retina display looks just as great as the 5K, just smaller.
- Notably slower startup vs. fusion drive equipped 27” iMac.
- Two Thunderbolt 2 ports (Check out OWC’s Thunderbolt Central)
See our teardown and unboxing of the 27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display (Late 2015) here: http://blog.macsales.com/33572-owc-unboxes-tears-down-the-late-2015-27-inch-imac-retina-5k