Wednesday, December 19th, 2012 | Author: OWC Jarrod
As we recently outlined on our Blog, it’s not too late to order great gifts from OWC and get them under your Christmas tree by Monday, Dec. 24. In fact, 2nd day air delivery still makes the cut for orders placed as late as Thursday. And if you order an in-stock item by Friday or even early enough Saturday with overnight shipping, you still can get your order by Christmas Eve. As always, ordering earlier is still better to protect against unforeseen weather or carrier issues.
So now that you know how to get the perfect gift in time for Christmas, you just need to decide on what the perfect gift is! Luckily, OWC has a ton of options to make your last-minute shopping that much easier. Article Continues…
Monday, December 17th, 2012 | Author: OWC Laura
We are down to five days left to receive deliveries in time for the big day and it is officially crunch time. As we covered in our last post, there’s a lot of information to take into account when shopping for the holidays.
The time to visit malls and shops has passed, here on in it is going to be granny’s throwing elbows and bumper carts! Time to throw on some pj’s and fuzzy socks and hit the interwebs. (A little hot chocolate never hurts either.)
Having five days left to receive deliveries means there’s still five days left to order! There’s still hope and we’re certainly still here to help. Our four big tips still ring true for stress-free online shopping; we just have to pay closer attention to the available shipping options. Here are our tips and the breakdown of still available options: Article Continues…
Well, the Holiday gift-giving rush is finally over, and we’re betting that somewhere between the toad skin coin purse and your menagerie of Chia Pets, there was a nifty tech gadget or two under your tree. Or, maybe you bought yourself a little treat as a reward for making it through the holidays and keeping most of your sanity intact.
Whatever the case, it’s a pretty good guess you gave or received some nifty new gear within the last few weeks. I sure know we did…
- OWC Jamie and OWC Michael both added new 27” iMacs to their households. Jamie’s included a Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500M document scanner and the transfer of an OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD in the mix, while Michael’s iMac may have a trip through OWC’s Turnkey Service in its future.
- OWC Grant got his kids a 13” MacBook to replace the old 333MHz iMac G3 they’d been using.
- OWC Grant, OWC Michael and I each picked up a generic FM transmitter/dock for our iPods that was being sold locally for about $8 – a great deal that we couldn’t pass up during the frenzy known as Black Friday. However, in the future, some of us are looking at something a little more along the lines of the Macally FM Cup, which places the iPod in a little better position in our respective vehicles.
- While not my own personal acquisition, I also found myself hooking up a friend’s parent’s new AppleTV to their home theater system – one of the over 1,000,000 units sold so far. Though I prefer my WDTV HD to Apple’s offering, it’s still a slick little unit.
- OWC Robert, of course, bought his MacBook Pro, “Lola”, a whole bunch of accessories and toys.
What about you guys? What kind of cool gadgets did you acquire or give over the holiday season? Let us know in the comments below.
A frequent topic of my articles in the OWC Blog center around my adventures in keeping my dad’s Mac mini up and running. As we’re in the Father’s Day season, I think it’s only appropriate that I put together a list of items that would enhance his digital lifestyle. Perhaps your father might appreciate one or more of these items, as well. Of course, I don’t make nearly enough to get him everything here (we have to keep our prices low somehow), but at least it’s a good launch point for ideas, for both my Dad and maybe yours, too.
First of all, I’d have to get him a new Mac mini. While his current mini has served him well, its Core Solo processor is showing its age, especially when he’s trying to make discs and slide shows out of photos he’s taken with his digital camera. However, that’s the only processor-intensive thing he does; otherwise he uses it mostly for email, word processing and the occasional game of Bejeweled Blitz. For those purposes, the latest mini would work just fine for him. Of course, like any good son, I’d have to make sure that the computer is all tricked out, so that he can take full advantage of its capabilities. The best place to start is memory.
It’s well-known that getting memory from Apple is way too expensive in most, if not all, cases. Furthermore, not all configurations are available; from Apple, the most you can get pre-installed in the latest mini is 4.0GB. Fortunately, you can double that to 8.0GB through OWC. Plus, it’s even more economical when you consider our rebate for the original memory!