I really like my iPhone 5, but it feels like it’s always running low on power and I’m rushing to find an outlet so I can plug it in. Most of the time, I either plug it into the Power2U we have in our studio, a standard wall outlet with the little plug that came with the phone, or into my laptop. I’ve never been in the habit of plugging my iPhone (or any devices of mine) into any USB port I don’t have direct knowledge of.
As it turns out, my minor paranoia may have been a pretty good instinct. According to a recent Reuters article, there’s apparently an exploit in iOS 6 (and probably earlier) that allows a computer connected to an iPhone (ostensibly via a “fake charging station”) to actually take over and control the phone. In theory, this could be extended out to being able to inject some sort of “virus” into your iPhone, giving ne’er-do-wells remote access to your information.
Admittedly, the jury is still out on exactly how likely this scenario is to actually exist in the real world (probably somewhere between “completely non-existant” to “they’re all out to get you”) and reports are that this particular exploit has already been patched in the latest preview release of iOS 7. However, it’s still not particularly wise to simply go plugging your iPhone into random USB slots like… umm… I can’t really think of a workplace-appropriate analogy here, but you get the idea. Article Continues…
Newer Technology, Inc. today announced the NuGuard Universal Tablet Rack, a Plug and Play ‘BYOD’ (Bring Your Own Device) storage and charging solution for technologically savvy classroom, office, retail, health care, and other multiple brand tablet computer user environments. Designed to accommodate nearly any tablet PC including Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy, Google Nexus, and Asus Transformer models, the NuGuard Rack allows tablets even in thick, protective cases to slide easily into one of eight bays to store and charge.
Easy to Use for All Ages
Tablet computer users of all ages will find the NuGuard Universal Tablet Rack easy and convenient to use. Simply slide a tablet into one of the eight bays and connect to a device compatible USB charging cable. The NuGuard Rack comes with eight pre-installed Apple Certified Dock Connector cables so iPad users can immediately charge. Embedded channels on the side of the unit enable easy changing of the cables as well as protection against cable bending, pinching, or accidental removal and/or tangling. Article Continues…
Newer Technology, Inc. today announced the GripStand Station, the Plug and Play storage, charging and syncing solution for technologically savvy classroom, office, retail, healthcare, and other multiple iPad user environments. Designed specifically for use with NuGuard GripStand 2 and GripStand protective iPad cases (sold separately), the GripStand Station allows iPad tablets to slide easily and securely into one of eight bays to store, charge and sync. The new, made in the USA GripStand Station and other unique Newer Technology products will be demonstrated in Other World Computing’s booth #5231, LVCC North Hall, at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), which begins tomorrow in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Easy to Use for All Ages
iPad users of all ages will find GripStand Station easy to use. Simply slide a NuGuard GripStand protected iPad into one of the eight bays until it connects to the installed Apple Certified Dock Connector. Embedded cable channels on the back of the unit cleanly route the USB charging cables to protect them from bending, pinching or accidental removal and/or tangling. To begin charging, users simply connect the dock cables to the factory supplied iPad power adapter. Article Continues…
Newer Technology, Inc. announced today the availability of its new premium-quality 30-Pin Dock Connector to USB 2.0 cables in four sizes: 3″, 12″, 36″, and 72″. The fully Apple®-certified cables utilize the power and convenience of USB 2.0 for charging and syncing an iPod, iPhone, and iPad via a standard 30-pin Dock Connector. Also new and offering up to triple the length of any USB to Dock cable is the Newer Technology USB Extension Cable which features an on/off switch to provide charging without syncing functionality. Article Continues…
Macworld Expo 2010 is right around the corner. Although Apple isn’t going to be there, your pals from OWC and Newer Technology certainly are. We’ve been preparing for months, and we’re excited to be showing off all the nifty new OWC and NewerTech products we’ve released over the last few months.
- The OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro mini is a compact, portable version of OWC’s award winning desktop-sized solution line that is bus-powered, fanless and sports a “Quad” Interface.
- The NewerTech NuPower High Capacity batteries for MacBook and MacBook Pro offer up to 10% higher capacity than the factory original.
- The NewerTech Video Display Adapter allows you add up to four displays to your Mac via USB.
- The NewerTech mini-DisplayPort Adapter series allows you to attach a DVI, HDMI or even VGA display to your mini-DisplayPort equipped Mac while offering better cabling and shielding than the standard adapter does.
- With NewerTech’s Window Mount for the iPhone 3G/3GS, featuring an exact fit cradle and super vacuum adhesion, your iPhone 3G/3GS will remain securely in place in your car, boat or even on an airplane tray table!
- The pocket-sized NuPower Charge & Sync+ lets you recharge your digital devices (including cell phones and digital cameras!) via a standard AC outlet or the built-in battery.
- The NewerTech MAXPower SATA 6G PCIe Controller Card for you Mac Pro (and PC’s, too) – High Performance. No drivers.
- The OWC Mercury Extreme SSD – we’re darn proud of our new internal 2.5” Solid State Drive. Sustained data transfer rates for both read and write speeds of over 260MB/s make our new SSDs among the fastest, if not the very fastest SATA I/II SSD on the market today. That’s why we’ve submitted it for Best of Show consideration.
But that’s not all…
We’ve also got a wonderful display where we show you how to integrate a Mac into your home theater system, info about our LEED Platinum Level “Green” facilities, the OWC Podcast booth, and—since His Steveness won’t be there to give one himself— “one more thing” in the form of a new OWC product. And, of course, we have show specials for the entire run of the show.
See you there!