Wednesday, June 20th, 2012 | Author: OWC Andy
Recently, we’ve seen an increase in calls from bewildered Mac Pro users wondering why the Memory Slot Utility keeps appearing at start-up, even if they haven’t upgraded their memory.
Normally, this dialog box only shows up after you’ve changed the memory configuration in your Mac Pro. Apple has been silent as to the reason(s) why some users have this dialog pop up every time they restart, while the vast majority of users do not.
Until Apple releases a fix, we’ve identified two methods to keep this message from appearing each time the computer boots.
Method 1: Removing the Property list.
- In the Finder, open a new window.
- Either hit Command-Shift-G or select “Go to Folder…” from the Go menu in the menu bar.
- In the box that pops up on the Finder window, type in: /System/Library/CoreServices/
- Locate “Memory Slot Utility.app”, right-click on it and select “Show Package Contents”.
- In the new window, open the Contents folder and move the “Info.plist” and the “version.plist” files to another location, such as the Desktop.
- Close all the open windows and reboot the computer.
In effect, this disables the Memory Slot Utility until an OS update is run. At that time ,the update will most likely rewrite both files and the message may reappear. If it does, simply repeat the steps.
Method 2: Booting with Root User activated.
This method is the preferred way to go, as it does not disable the Memory Slot Utility, but many users are not enthusiastic about activating a Root User account. As long as these instructions are followed to the letter, there is little chance that any problem could arise.
- Select “System Preferences” from the Apple menu.
- In 10.7 and later, choose “Users & Groups”; for 10.6.x and earlier, choose “Accounts”.
- Click the lock in the lower left corner and authenticate with an “Administrator” username and password.
- Select “Login Options.”
- Click the “Edit” or “Join” button next to “Network Account Server” (it may be one or the other, depending on your system’s setup).
- Click the “Open Directory Utility” button in the lower left of the dropdown window.
- The Directory Utility window will open. If the lock in the lower left corner is closed, click on it to open and enter an administrator account name and password to unlock.
- Go to the Edit menu and choose “Enable Root User.”
- Enter the root password you wish to use in both the Password and Verify fields, click “OK”.
- Restart the computer and log into the newly created Root user just one time. The message may or may not appear, if it does click OK. In OS 10.8 you will see an option for “Other” at the login screen. Select this, the user name will be root and the password is what you chose earlier
- Restart the computer and log into your normal user account and you shouldn’t see the message any more.
At this point, you can disable the Root user account. Go through the same steps above, except that for Step 8, select “Disable Root User” instead.
Once you’ve done that, your Mac Pro will be ready to use without the annoying pop-up!
You may have missed the brief mention of this when we mentioned it in last week’s announcement of On-The-Go price drops, but we’ve got some great specials on Prosoft Engineering’s Drive Genius 3.
Drive Genius 3 is built upon the same award-winning platform that earned the utility numerous industry honors including daily use by Apple at the Genius Bar as part of the ProCare Yearly Tune Up. Now running as a native 64-bit application to take advantage of Mac OS X 10.6 (“Snow Leopard”), Drive Genius 3 includes new features like DrivePulse® which monitors overall drive health and alerts on possible issues, RAID Support, and Email Notifications as well as enhanced Defrag, Repartition and Scan functions.
Drive Genius is a great program, but OWC makes it even better with our special bundle offer. Over 300 award winning OWC and NewerTech brand external storage solutions, enclosure kits, and docking stations now include the opportunity to purchase the full retail version of Drive Genius 3 for as low as $39—a savings of $60 off the retail price.
Did you just purchase Drive Genius 2? There may be a free or inexpensive upgrade in your future. To express its commitment to taking care of its customers, OWC is also providing a special discount upgrade path for customers who previously purchased Drive Genius 2.x from OWC. Any customer who purchased Drive Genius v2.x from OWC with an invoice date of 1/1/2010 or later will be provided a Free Upgrade to the latest Drive Genius v3 version. OWC customers with an invoice date of 12/31/2009 or prior will be able to upgrade to the new version for the special discount price of $39.00. All you need to do is visit our Web site to confirm your eligibility.
This week’s free iPhone/iPod App to review: Touch Mouse by Logitech.
Touch Mouse by Logitech turns your iPhone or iPod touch into a wireless trackpad and keyboard for your computer.
Do you connect your computer to your TV? Touch Mouse is the perfect solution for when you want to stay in control from the comfort of your couch. Point, click, scroll and type in any application—on a Mac or a PC.
Touch Mouse works over Wi-Fi, so you can use it anywhere in the house. And to make typing easier, text is displayed on the screen of your iPhone or iPod touch as you type, so you can see what you’re doing without having to continually look up and down.
- Multi-touch trackpad with option for two or three buttons
- Two-finger scrolling
- Keyboard with modifier keys
- On-screen text display while typing
- Show or hide the keyboard at any time
- Trackpad and keyboard are available in landscape and portrait modes
To make Touch Mouse work, you will need to download the Touch Mouse Server software from www.logitech.com/touchmouse and install it on your Mac or PC. This software enables the Touch Mouse app on your iPhone or iPod touch to find your computer and communicate with it.
- Mac with OS X 10.5 or higher
- PC with Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
- Computer and iPhone or iPod touch must be connected to the same Wi-Fi network
- Touch Mouse Server software must be installed and running on the computer you want to control
This week’s free iPod/iPhone App to review is: AppBox LITE: 10 useful Apps in one application.
10 handy tools in one App!
- 195 Currency codes and 3 metals
- Update Option(Automatic/Manual)
✔ DATE CALCULATOR
- Days between dates
- Adding days to date
- Day of Week
- Lunar(Chinese)/Solar Converter
✔ DAYS UNTIL
- Photo View & Table View
- Flip View for remaining or past dates
- 83 countries and Jewish calendar.
- Holiday rules changing every year in the world for example, Easter day, Chinese Lunar Calendar, Islamic Calendar and Jewish Calendar.
- Two Levels: Surface and bubble
- Three types of units
- Lock / Unlock
- Amortization Tab with Pie Chart
- Comparison Tab with Bar Chart and Pie Chart
- Amortization Schedule View
- Mail Send View
✔ PRICE GRAB
- Bar Chart for price, quantity, and unit price
- Circle chart based on unit price
- Menstrual cycle calendar also known as fertility calendar
- Indicates days with increased probability of getting pregnant
- Makes predictions of upcoming dates
- Keeps records of previous cycles
✔ TIP CALC
- Tax Option
- Split Option
- Area, Length, Pressure, Temperature, Volume, Weight