You may think this is a trick question because most people prefer PC over Mac, right? Well, more people may use PCs, but it doesn’t necessarily mean they are preferred. For the sake of argument (and this article), when I say “people,” I am referring to college students. And though they may sometimes act like party animals, they are still, in fact, people.
In a new study of over 2,200 college students released by Jamf this week, 71% either have a Mac or wish they did. By any scale, this is a huge preference over the alternative. What makes the number look even more unbalanced is when you consider the other side of the equation: only 29% would choose PC over Mac. To break the numbers down further:
• 40% use Mac
• 31% use PC but prefer Mac
• 29% use and prefer PC
Now consider this… The largest margin of victory in a presidential election was Franklin Roosevelt’s 60.8% to Alf Landon’s 36.5% in 1936.* That’s a ridiculous margin of “it’s not even a contest” success. And Mac exceeded Roosevelt’s margin by 10%? I’m just sayin…
* Just so you history buffs don’t start flaming me… Yes, I am well aware that James Monroe captured 98.5% of the vote in 1820. But c’mon, the guy basically ran unopposed.
Why Mac Over PC?
So what gives? Well, Mac does. In fact, it’s the gift that keeps on giving.
The students were asked to select the primary reasons for choosing their platform, and here are the results:
All reasons rate higher for Mac versus PC, and the only reason rated higher for PC was price. However, it’s not exactly a news flash that people use PC because they think they’re cheaper. (I won’t go into the Total Cost of Ownership rant here – there is plenty written on that subject elsewhere.)
Employers Better Be Mac Friendly
Now granted, Jamf is an Apple Device Management company, so they do have a vested interest in touting Mac usage. In essence, they are targeting employers with this data. And for good reason.
“The next generation of job seekers wants their tech to just work so that they can focus on their job. They see Mac as more modern, intuitive and reliable – and would like to continue to use it as they launch their careers,” said Dean Hager, CEO, Jamf.
The report declares that “67% of students, regardless of what computer they own, agree they are more likely to choose and stay at an organization that offers them a choice in work computer.” That’s fairly significant. If 2/3 of fresh, young, and motivated talent would consider passing on a job if they had to work on a PC, companies better be prepared to offer a Mac alternative.
Familiarity and Value
The researchers also state that “next generation job seekers see Mac as more intuitive, more modern and more easily integrated with their other devices. This leaves them free to be more productive, creative and collaborative. Most are already familiar with Apple products, and the majority believe Mac offers the highest value.” I’m down with that.
So, would you consider passing on a job if you had to use a PC instead of a Mac or vice-versa? I have to admit, I probably would. And if you haven’t guessed it yet, “I’m a Mac.”