Did you know you can use your Mac to take screenshots and grab video from an Apple TV? You can — if your Mac is running macOS High Sierra or later.
Here’s how to capture video playing on your Apple TV:
1. Turn on your Apple TV, open Settings, and choose Network.
2. Look under “Connection” and note the Wi-Fi network name.
3. Turn on your Mac, and make sure it’s connected to the same network.
4. Launch QuickTime Player.
5. In the QuickTime menu bar, select “File > New Movie Recording.” A new recording window will open.
6. Click the small down arrow to the right of the red record button and a dropdown menu will appear.
7. Select Apple TV under both the Camera and Microphone sections.
8. On the Apple TV, a screen sharing permissions prompt will pop up. Use the Siri Remote and choose “Allow.”
9. Click the red button to start recording.
To take a screenshot of your Apple TV screen from your Mac:
1. Press Shift (⇧) – Command (⌘) – 4, and the onscreen pointer changes to a crosshair.
2. Press the Space bar. The pointer changes to a camera.
3. Move the pointer over the QuickTime Player window, wait until the QuickTime menu and the overlay with playback controls have disappeared, then click the mouse or trackpad to take a screenshot of what’s shown on your Apple TV.